3 Steps That Could Prevent Frozen Pipes in Crown Point, Northwest IN and South Cook County IL
If you’ve ever had a frozen pipe, you know that they can be a huge nuisance. If you’ve ever had a burst pipe, you know that they can be a huge, damaging disaster. To prevent frozen and burst pipes in Crown Point, you’ll want to make sure your plumbing pipes are ready when the freezing temperatures settle in.
Step #1: Locate your vulnerable plumbing pipes.
Pipes that are likely to freeze include:
- Any pipe that has frozen on you before.
- Pipes that run near exterior walls (usually this includes the pipes under your kitchen sink).
- Pipes located in a cold basement.
- Pipes found in poorly insulated areas such as crawlspaces or attics.
- Outdoor plumbing pipes.
Step #2: Shield the plumbing pipes that are susceptible to freezing from the elements.
Some ways to keep your pipes protected from the cold include:
- Draining outdoor faucets.
- Using a pipe sleeve or protective tubing to cover them.
- Letting your faucets drip slowly.
- Leaving cabinets under bathroom or kitchen sinks open.
- Heating your plumbing pipes with heat tape.
- Insulating drafty areas.
- Sealing cracks around your home with caulk.
Step #3: Protect your plumbing system while you are on vacation.
Precautions you can take while away on vacation include:
- Asking a friend or neighbor to check in on your home while you are absent.
- Setting your thermostat for no less than 55 degrees.
- Shutting off your main water valve and draining your plumbing fixtures if you will be gone for an extended period of time.
At Reichelt Plumbing, we know that when the subzero temperatures hit we’ll be getting some calls about frozen and burst pipes. If you need help thawing or repairing a plumbing pipe this winter in Crown Point or Schererville, don’t hesitate to give our experts a call!