Winter can be one of the most deadly seasons of the year for those who are not prepared. Many prepare for cold months and snow by going to the grocery store and stocking up on water and non-perishable items. It’s also vital that you prepare your home’s plumbing. You don’t want your pipes to freeze and burst or for your hot water heater to fail during the coldest months. Follow these helpful tips to Prepare Your Homes Plumbing For Fall.
- Test and Inspect Your Water Heater
- You can test the water heater’s pressure valve (Warning: the water is extremely hot) by lifting the lever and letting it snap into place. You should see a burst of water enter the drainpipe. If not, call Reichelt Plumbing immediately. You can also call Reichelt Plumbing to schedule a routine maintenance inspection for your water heater. We can assess the age, wear and tear, and condition of the water heater so that you can determine if the unit needs repaired, replaced, or regular maintenance.
- Inspect and Clear Gutters and Downspouts
- Gutters and Downspouts love to collect the colorful leaves of fall along with other debris. Unfortunately, when rain or snow fall heavily, these clogs can cause major problems. For example, the weight of the water (especially frozen) could rip the gutters right off of your house. If the water doesn’t drain and collects on the roof, it could also cause serious damage to your roof. Don’t get stuck with these problems. Use the dry, cool days to clean out these units before winter comes.
- Schedule Routine Maintenance for your Sewer System
- Routine maintenance inspections are your best defense against plumbing disasters. Our certified technicians are trained to spot potential problems and address immediate concerns. It’s safer to have your sewer system inspected before cold weather hits.
- Insulate exposed plumbing pipes.
- Don’t leave your pipes vulnerable to winter’s chill. Make sure to protect exposed pipes with the insulation they need so that they don’t freeze.
Prevention is always the best method for avoiding major plumbing problems. Call Reichelt Plumbing today for more information.