How to Find an Underground Water Leak
Are you concerned that you may have an underground water leak? All homeowners should be on guard against these leaks, considering the damage they can cause. If an underground water leak isn’t repaired right away, you could be looking at deep foundational damage or a sinkhole. These both require large-scale repairs, which can cost a lot. That’s why it’s so important to be able to spot their early signs.
Signs of an Underground Water Leak
Do you suspect that you may be dealing with an underground water leak? Stay on the lookout for the following:
- Unexplainable wet patches around your home.
- A noticeable change in water pressure.
- Mold or mildew growth.
- Rust-colored water.
- Warping or tilting floor boards.
- An abnormally high water bill.
- Potholes or sinkholes around your home.
Keep in mind that underground water leaks will also often make certain, distinct sounds. If you notice a sudden hissing or clinking sound, you should immediately suspect an underground water leak.
How to Find an Underground Water Leak
So, we’ve discussed some of the major signs that could indicate an underground water leak. Of course, there’s only ONE way to know what you’re dealing with for sure: call in a professional plumbing technician. As a homeowner, you need to know when to call for help. Most people want to call BEFORE any sinkholes tip them off to the presence of an underground water leak.
Keep in mind that only professional plumbing technicians have the water leak detection equipment needed to locate a leak. However, you, as a homeowner, CAN keep an eye out for leaks. Here are some simple, tried-and-true ways to guard against underground water leaks:
- Keep a close eye on your water bill. Has your water bill suddenly skyrocketed in the last month or so? That’s never a good sign! Or maybe your bill has been steadily increasing, and you’re not sure why. If you haven’t started taking 45-minute showers, or doing something else that may explain the increase, even gradual, steady increases in your water bill could indicate an underground water leak. You should always monitor your water bill as carefully as possible from month to month, to ensure that you know of any spike in price or usage. Under normal circumstances, your water bill should pretty much stay the same!
- Check your water usage. You don’t have to wait until you get your water bill. One of the best ways to check if you have an underground leak of some kind? Check your water usage! The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency recommends that all homeowners check their winter water usage on a regular basis, to determine if there are leaks inside the home.
- Check your water meter. This is another one of those tried-and-true ways to discover underground water leaks. To check your water meter, turn off all the water in your home. This means turning off the dishwasher if it’s running, shutting off all the faucets, and making sure that the washer and dryer are not operating. Once you’ve done this, simply watch the meter and see if it begins to change at all. If you’re monitoring the meter and you notice that it suddenly begins to change, then there is likely a leak somewhere inside your home. If, however, the meter does not immediately change, you should wait a few hours and then check it again. After all, you could be facing a small, slow leak.
- Look around your cabinets. You should definitely make it a regular habit to check the backs of your cabinets and under sink basins for signs of mold or mildew growth. Mold does not usually appear in obvious places. Any mold growth can usually be attributed to a leak of some kind. Even if you don’t SEE any mold, you should stay on the lookout for funky smells. Of course, it’s always a great idea to have a plumbing technician come check out your home at least once a year and test for mold.
- Use some food coloring. Yes, you read that right! Food coloring is a great tool for water leak detection. Did you know that toilets represent roughly 30 percent of your water use? Add some drops of food coloring to the water in your toilet’s tank. Wait a few minutes after adding in the drops, and then see if the color shows up in your bowl. If it does, your toilet almost certainly has some kind of leak.
What to Do in the Event of an Underground Water Leak
It’s super important to catch a water leak before it becomes a large-scale disaster. Keep in mind that underground water leaks have been known to cause structural damages to homes, and even to adjacent properties. If you suspect that you may have an underground water leak on your hands, the first thing you should do is turn off your water — this means calling your utility company immediately! Next, you’ll want to call a professional plumber as soon as possible. Professional plumbing technicians have the necessary water leak detection equipment needed to successfully and efficiently locate a leak. The majority of homeowners are not able to successfully locate a leak on their own.
About the Reichelt Plumbing Team: Why Choose Us
Here at Reichelt Plumbing, our team of experienced, professional plumbers has been in the business for a number of years. We can find and fix any underground water leak. We’re so proud to be our community’s #1 choice for all their plumbing needs! Are you planning a small-scale renovation? Do you need help with a commercial plumbing problem? No matter what the issue and regardless of its size, rest assured that the Reichelt Plumbing team can help. We utilize only the highest-quality plumbing products, and we’re well-known for our specialized, friendly policies. For instance, did you know that Reichelt Plumbing offers a 1-year guarantee for labor and parts on installation? We also offer quality flat rate pricing.
The Reichelt Plumbing team consists of professional plumbing technicians that have years of experience and valuable expertise. Each of our employees undergoes a thorough vetting process (including a background check and testing) to ensure that they are the proper person for the job. Not only are our team members extremely well-qualified for every job they undertake, but we also offer an incredibly wide array of services and support. These of course include our top-notch water leak detection services — however, we also offer so much more. Reichelt provides a full range of both commercial and residential plumbing services.
Reichelt Plumbing’s services include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Frozen line re-piping
- Water heater and fixture repair and replacement
- Water line repair, replacement, and installation
- Commercial and residential remodeling
- Sewer cleaning, repair, and replacement
- Pump cleaning and repair
- Sump pump cleaning and repair
- Drain cleaning
- And so much more!
Contact Reichelt Plumbing today to find out more about what we offer! We’re also always happy to speak with you one-on-one, or help you schedule an estimate or appointment. If you think you might have an underground water leak, you don’t want to wait around as it steadily damages your property. Instead, call us today at [phone]! We look forward to speaking with you soon.