With January 1 not far around the corner, some people are thinking about their New Year’s resolutions, which will inevitably contain diets. However, before the diets can begin, let us gorge ourselves on some of the most amazing foods and desserts our friends and families have to offer. Thanksgiving is a time where we see how blessed we are with all the food we can prepare and consume until we fall happily into a food coma. But, before all of that happens, someone has to prepare all of the food. That’s where the licensed technicians at Reichelt Plumbing come in. Many of our South Cook County, IL and Northwest, IN customers misunderstand what items they can place down the drain or garbage disposal. Unfortunately, this and other mistakes lead to severe plumbing problems on black Friday. In fact, black Friday is one of the busiest days for plumbers because of easily avoided problems. In honor of Thanksgiving, Reichelt Plumbing wanted to help keep the attitude of gratitude in our customers. To do so, we’ve come up with a few things to keep in mind during the holiday season.
- Schedule a Routine Maintenance appointment with Reichelt before your guests arrive. Our skilled technicians will inspect your home’s water heater, detect leaky pipes, and ensure your drains are completely clean. This simple appointment will help ensure your home’s plumbing runs efficiently all season long.
- Some of us remember our grandparents putting fats or cooking oils in special cans and containers and disposing of them in the trash. Most people today think our plumbing can handle these items as long as we rinse enough or pour enough soap down the drain. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Instead, the fats can congeal to become solid blocks in your pipes and cause clogged drains.
- Items like the innards of pumpkins that are stringy or starchy items like potato skins or rice should never be washed down the drain or run through a garbage disposal. Potato skins and rice can actually form a paste and can sometimes expand in your pipes and cause them to burst. Pumpkin innards or other fiber like materials can wrap around the blades of your garbage disposal and burn out the motor. As a result, these items should always be thrown away or added to a compost pile.
- For other items that can be sent through the garbage disposal, turn on the water and the garbage disposal before inserting the item. This will ensure the disposal operates at maximum efficiency. Also, watch for small items like shot glasses or measuring spoons and ensure they do not end up in the garbage disposal.
- Never flush anything except human waste and toilet paper down the toilet. Even if wipes say they are flushable, they often clump together and form ropes that clog the waste water treatment facilities. You should also watch small children to make sure other random items aren’t ending up in the toilet on accident.
No matter what happens, our licensed technicians are always available to resolve your plumbing problems. At Reichelt Plumbing, we offer both residential plumbing services and commercial plumbing services. Locally owned and operated, we have been in business for over 25 years, and owe our longevity and success as a business to our unwavering commitment to satisfy all our customer demands in a timely fashion. For money saving tips, coupons, and testimonials, visit us on the web. And feel free to contact one of our friendly representatives with any questions or service needs.
Serving Northwest Indiana & South Cook County Illinois